Vital Statistics - Change of Gender Designation

Provided by: Government of Prince Edward Island - Department of Justice and Public Safety - AKA: JPS

Service Description

People born in PEI can apply to change their gender designation as it is recorded with Vital Statistics.

Note: A new birth certificate is not automatically issued as part of this process. Once gender designation process is complete, people can apply separately to receive a new birth certificate if they wish.


Applicants age 18 and over must: Have been born in PEI * Have resided in PEI for at least 3 months * Not be in the lawful custody of another person

Applicants under age 18 must: Have been born in PEI * Have resided in PEI for at least 3 months * Children ages 12 and over must provide their written consent and the written consent of their parents/legal guardians
How to Access:
Complete the application form and submit by mail or email
Documents Required:
Adult Gender Change Form or Minor Gender Change Form * Gender Change - Physician Consent Form * Written consent of legal guardians if child whose gender is to be change is over age 12 but under 18 * Proof of PEI residency (PEI Health Card, citizenship card, etc.) * All previously issued birth certificates
Coverage Area:
Prince Edward Island

Service Locations & Contact Info