Canada Learning Bond

Provided by: Government of Canada - Service Canada - AKA: Employment and Social Development Canada; ESDC; Human Resources and Skills Development (former name)

Service Description

The Government of Canada contributes up to $2000 to a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for children from low income families to help pay for the costs of a child's full or part-time studies after high school.

No personal contributions to an RESP are required to receive the funds.


Eligibility is based on the number of qualified children in the family and adjusted income of the primary caregiver, including the income of a cohabiting spouse or common-law partner

A child is eligible for the CLB if they:
-Are from a low income family
-Are born on or after January 1, 2004
-Are a resident of Canada
-Have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
-Are named in an RESP

Children in care, for whom a Children's Special Allowance is payable, are eligible for the CLB

The primary caregiver or their spouse or common-law partner must request the CLB on behalf of an eligible child
No fees
How to Access:
To request the CLB, open a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) with a participating RESP promoter. A bank account is not necessary to open an RESP. * See website for list of participating RESP promoters.
Documents Required:
A Social Insurance Number (SIN) for the subscriber or the Business Number of the agency if the child is in care * A SIN for the child
English * Some locations offer French services * Other languages available by phone
Coverage Area:

Service Locations & Contact Info